Saturday, September 12, 2015

Lab 3: Environmental History

Part One

1. Why do you think Carson titles this chapter “A Fable for Tomorrow?” Think about the choice of words in the title. Think about what fable teaches us and apply that here.


Per the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the definition of a fable is "a short story that usually is about animals and that is intended to teach a lesson".  I believe Carson has titled the chapter "A Fable for Tomorrow" because she is attempting to provide a story for the people to ponder today, about how terrifying the future could be if changes are not made. She is painting a vivid picture to assist in explaining the harmful effects of human pollution on the planet, in hopes of changing the outcome.



2.What did you know about pesticides before watching the Earth Days segment or reading part of Silent Spring?

I have been made aware over the years about how terrible pesticides are. Most recently, I have read a number of articles explaining how pesticides can cause health issues in animals and humans alike. I knew they were a problem, but the extent of the problem was unknown; I still believe I have more to learn on the matter. 

3.What do you feel so strongly about that you would want to fully dedicate yourself to it, producing a groundbreaking work of literature, film, music or other media, even if this risked your professional reputation and how others thought of you? Your answer can be hypothetical! Not everyone has a passion that they would carry this far.

A matter that has had quite a lot of impact in my life is the stigma around behavioral health. I am speaking specifically about how difficult it can be for young people to cope with mental health disorders, and find the support they need. If I had the financial means, I would love to start a campaign  in the elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools to inform youth's supports of the struggles young people face who suffer from depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc... and ways the faculty could reach out to children and families to get them the support they need. Recently, there has been quite a bit of positive movement in this area, but the more information out there the better. 

4. Name four places pesticides exist.

Per the article provided, pesticides are showing up in farms and industrial processes, as well as in human and animal fats, and in aquatic invertebrates. 

5.What are two effects of DDT on birds and mammals?
One effect of DDT on birds is the effect it has on their reproductive abilities. In birds, this is causing a weakening of their egg's shells.  

An effect DDT has on mammals is loss of muscle control. There can also be excitability, nausea, and irritation. 

6.“Our aim should be to guide natural processes as cautiously as possible in the desired direction rather than to use brute force...Life is a miracle beyond our comprehension, and we should reverence it even when we have to struggle against it...Humbleness is in order; there is no excuse for scientific conceit here.” – Rachel Carson in Silent Spring.
Take a little time to define humbleness in an appropriate manner for this question before answering.
How can we exhibit humbleness in terms of our relationship to nature?

We can exhibit humbleness within our relationship with nature by understanding that we are equals with nature. We need to take care of the world in order to take care of others and ourselves. This planet is not simply here for human consumption; there are plants and animals and other parts of ecosystems to consider too! Humans are quick to believe the world is here for their use; this is not true, as we are guests of this planet, and need to treat it with the utmost respect while we are here. 


Part Two


Here is my illustration of biological magnification. We can see the process of the DDT going through the grasses, into the cow, to our table where we digest it.  As mentioned in the article in Part One, the DDT can then stay in our fat storage. 

Part 3

  • The overall trend of bald eagle populations in your state during this time period

The number of bald eagle pairings appear to be rising in Virginia. At this time, the number of bald eagle pairings have quadrupled since 1990.

  • The average increase in population for the state you chose. What percentage increase does this represent?

The bald eagle population in Virginia has increased approximately 4.6 times what it was in 1990.

  • Two programs that protect bald eagles

Per the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services website, there are acts in place to protect the bald eagle. One of the acts is the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act. This act increases the bald eagle's safety by
 "...prohibiting the take, possession, sale, purchase, barter, offer to sell, purchase or barter, transport, export or import, of any bald or golden eagle, alive or dead, including any part, nest, or egg, unless allowed by permit..."  (16 U.S.C. 668(a); 50 CFR 22)
Additionally, there is the Migratory Bird Treaty Act which protects bald eagles and other birds who "migrate across international borders".  The other countries involved with this treaty are Russia, Mexico, Canada, and Japan. (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services)


Part Four

1. I believe I have an average personal ecological footprint for a United States citizen. I try to be mindful of what I am doing; I utilize a trash service with a recycling feature, I watch how long of a shower I take, and I try to up-cycle whenever possible. On the other hand, I am constantly using electricity, my job requires a ton of driving, and I can be wasteful with food.  Giving these points of consideration, I believe if everyone lived my lifestyle, we would need 4 earths.

2. My results show that we would need 4.6 earths to maintain my lifestyle.

3. The results were not particularly shocking to me, but sure were sad. I was hopeful that I was overestimating my need; boy was I wrong!  I think a major point of weakness for me is my eating habits and my driving habits. My work requires me to drive 150 -200 miles per week to see clients, and my diet consists of mainly packaged food.  I may not be able to alter how much driving I need to do a week, but I can certainly be more aware of the food I am purchasing; more local greens for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment